Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a very important management tool to corporate managers. It is important that the KPIs are formulated and implemented well. If not, they are better not done than done. Many organizations rush into establishing KPIs in a hurry to match competition and to show they are measurement focused. If they do it without aligning the KPIs to their strategy and without thoroughly evaluating and choosing the right KPIs, the exercise will not be fruitful. Sooner or later the employees will reject the KPIs as useless measures. It helps to set clear expectations of the management and direct the focus of every employee to put their effort to achieve what the management expects.
- Explain the “what” and “why” of developing KPI and KRA.
- Develop your department’s KPIs and KRAs via business strategic issues.
- Track, report and improve the periodical departmental performance.
- Cascade down your departmental KPIs to your subordinates and track the achievement of KPI.
- Conduct performance appraisal by using performance appraisal review form.
- Link your KPI achievement to bonus and salary increment calculation.
- Exercises – individual and group
- Group facilitation
- Case studies
Group/individual exercises, group/class facilitation and lecture will be used to ensure the participants understand the concept/principle of Key Performance Indicators (KPI) & Key Result Areas (KRA). The real-life cases related their respective departments on KRA development & KPI setting will be given to the respective participants to ensure their competencies are built & developed.
Concept of Key Result Areas ( KRA )
- ‘What’ and ‘why’ of KRA
- The difference between KRA and KPI
- Success story – results of KRA implementation setting business KPI
- ‘What’ and ‘why’ of business KPI
- Define your business direction
- Specify your business KRA and KPI
- Specify your business target
- Turn your business measurement into dollar and cents.
Setting Operations KPI
- ‘What’ and ‘why’ of operations KPI ( down stream concept )
- Specify the operations processes
- Specify the interaction of operations processes
- Measurement principle: QQCT
- Specify the KPI of the operations processes
Cascading Down the KPI to Your Next Level
- Concept: result focused vs tasks orientated
- Breakdown your KPI by sections
- Assesses the competency of your department
- Assign and set KPI for your next level
- Assess the feasibility of your KPI assigned
- Track the achievement of the KPI
- Report the achievement of the KPI
- Improve the achievement of the KPI
Performance Management Appraisal
- Concept of performance appraisal
- Design of performance appraisal form
- Using of performance appraisal review form
Linking of KPI Achievement to Performance Appraisal Review Form
- Assessment on performance results
- Assessment on behavioral performance
- Justification for salary increment
- Setting of KPI for next year
- Development plan for next year
Linking of Performance Appraisal Review Score to Bonus/Salary Increment Calculation
- Guideline for bonus/salary increment calculation
- Decision on bonus/salary increment pool
- Distribution of bonus/salary increment pool
- Sequence and process planning in performance appraisal review exercise