An intensive workshop for those who have to write reports and proposals that make an impact. There will be a training manual provided to guide each participant through the course. Work is expected to be done outside contact hours of the first day and presented the following day. Visual aids include video viewing (Report Writing). Pop Quiz and Report and Letter Puzzles to add to the learning experience and create a new approach to writing.
- To create, develop and improve more professional an effective writing skill and quality writing standards.
- To use an effective process and write quality documents in organised, structured way to achieve a specific objective.
- To update and improve business writting skills for more effective and persuasive emails, memos, letters and reports.
- To develop business writing ability by acquiring skills in objective or non-personal writing.
- To strengthen understanding and ability in writing and communication strategies.
- To select and organize message information to create an effective introduction, body and conclusion.
- Use as a business style and vocabulary in writing
- Express ideas with confidence and clarity, supporting persuasive and logical arguments in writing.
- Case and group discussions
- Using writing samples to illustrate explicitly the difference between clear writing and ambiguous or complicated writing
- Written exercises
- Review and work on your own written document and Peer Editing
- A video on report writing will be used for guiding the participants
- Participants are requested to bring their own notebooks for effective learning.
Module One: Framework of Writing
- Prewriting / Writing / Rewriting : The ratio and combination
- Use of Language for Accuracy : The Basics must be right
- Structures of Paragraphs: The PEEL Method.
Module Two: Audience Recognition: Primary and Secondary readers
Essential Components :
- Three-Point Format
- Complex Information for the Lay Reader
Module Three: Memos, Letters and Replies via E-mail
- Purpose of Memo: Upward/ Downward
- Criteria for a Successful Memo
- Letter Templates
- Emails – the Communication Engine
Module Four: Six Types of Information
- Process & Procedure
- Principles and Facts
- Structure and Concept
Module Five: Report Writing and Proposals
- Executive Summary/ Abstract
- Qualities of Effective Reports
- Collecting and Collating Information
- Types of Report: Short and Long Report Formats
- Proposals to Influence Decision Making
- Highlighting Key Issues
Module Six: Fine Tuning and Finishing Touches
- Fog Index
- Proof Reading and Editing
- Designing Visuals for Impact and Access to Information
- The Check List